The next couple of weeks are full of test prep in reading and math. This can be really boring and tedious, or it can be novel and fun. I am hoping for the latter.
Over the next week or so I will be posting about different ways that I am trying to keep test prep fresh, unique, and meaningful for all of my students as well as myself.
I will start with something simple, but that makes a world of difference. When reviewing I try to use as many different materials as possible. For example, today we used magna-boards. These boards are basically thinner versions of the Magna Doodle that we all played with as kids.
Making Test Prep Fun With New Materials
Of course there always white boards, but in addition to the “average” materials there are also:
- ABCD or True/False cards that students can hold up
- Writing in shaving cream on their desk
- Using dry erase markers on their desk
- Going to a corner of the room to show ABCD
- Using a marker or fun pen instead of a pencil
- Choosing a place in the room to work instead of at their desk
More Ideas for Making Test Prep Fun
Want More Quick Teaching Tips?
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our latest blog posts by email.